We are all like sticks of dynamite. The power is on inside us
…..but nothing happens until the fuse gets lit.
That really inspired me when I first read it. It is just so true: the idea that empowerment is about lighting your fuse. I really believe that we all have something special and unique inside us. The reason why some are able to develop it and show it to the world is because they light the fuse. That’s what it means to empower ourselves. No one else can empower us. We have to do it ourselves. Others can encourage, support, motivate and inspire us, but only we can take that final step and light the fuse. When we do that, we take off. All those talents and all that potential we have inside us is activated and released.
Some people think the word “empowerment” is an old fashioned word belonging to the 1970s when it first emerged in popular jargon. I certainly don’t think that, especially when my business is called “People Empowered”. More than ever today, in the midst of a complex, uncertain, ambiguous and paradoxical world, we need to believe in the “power within” which is what empowerment is. We can very easily be overcome with fear, doubt, frustration, disillusionment and depression and never even explore the breadth of our inner resources.We never experience what it means to stretch ourselves to the edges of our potential. We never experience the excitement of feeling empowered.
So, if you want to light your fuse, if you want to be more than you already are, if you want to explore all the possibilities that are in your life, then there are some things you need to do first.
- Discover what your dream is, personally and professionally. Set yourself some goals and give them a deadline. A goal is a dream with a deadline. If there is no deadline it usually remains a dream. If there is no dream, the goal remains a dead line.
- Surround yourself with empowering people, all of whom are living their dream, both personally and professionally. Find a way to remove yourself from the “dream-stealers” and the negative naysayers.
- Spend time with people who believe in you more than you believe in yourself. Share your dream with them. Listen to and act on what they say to you.
- Do for others what these people are doing for you. This way you create more people in your empowering circle.
- Finally, work out what experiences in your life dis-empower you, and take control of them – work on them, change them or dump them. Re-discover empowerment.