We will open the book.
Its pages are blank.
We are going to put words on them ourselves.
The book is called Opportunity
and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.
– Edith Lovejoy Pierce, 20th century American poet.
Are you one of those people who has no trouble seeing in the New Year with great enthusiasm and energy? You celebrate with friends. You eat and drink, laugh and dance. Everything about you suggests that you are full of excitement for the year ahead. You wake up the next day, however, a lot less enthusiastic. You decide to skip the new year resolutions. What’s the use of setting goals, that history has taught, you never keep for more than a few weeks. Life becomes tedious and gets in the way of your hopes, dreams and aspirations. Struggle becomes your middle name. A few days later you go back to work, even less excited. The New Year has begun and you are already in glass-half-empty mode.
It doesn’t have to be that way. You can change the way you approach this new year 2015. You can make it a year where you begin to create the personal and professional life you really want. I don’t want to pretend to you that it is easy. I will promise you, however, that if you make this commitment, this time next year you will feel very different, very empowered by what you have achieved during 2015. That is a great impetus for on-going success for the rest of your professional life.
Let Me Help You Re-write Your Story With Six Actions That Can Change Your Life In New Year 2015.
- Create a new mindset, a glass-half-full one, a positive, pro-active one that will not allow you to think negatively. Decide to search for opportunity in every difficulty, rather than be trapped in seeing difficulty in every opportunity. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
- Put your inner demons on notice, that every time they try to cajole you into giving up, or drag you back into the past, into a place that your real self does not want to be, you will fight them all the way to the success you want. This is an empowering process.
- Focus on becoming an emotionally intelligent professional. Invest in professional and personal development to enhance your skills in this area. Being able to manage your own emotions and those of the people with whom you are interacting is both a career enhancing attribute and greatly enhances your personal relationships.
- Develop an attitude of gratitude. This is the most amazing discovery I have made for staying positive and pro-active. It is all too easy to see the negative, what’s wrong and bad, and much harder to see what’s good and positive. Get yourself a Gratitude Book and every day write down at least 3 things that you are grateful for. It forces you to look for the positive and focus on it. After a while it all comes naturally to live in the “life-is-good” lane. Reading your book back over time is such an empowering experience. Some people like to write at the end of the day as a way of looking back in a positive way at what has made a difference. Others like to do it first thing in the morning to set a positive, pro-active direction to their day.
- Create your own Mastermind Group, a small group of colleagues, who are as highly motivated as you are, who are as committed as you to advancing their careers and enhancing their personal lives and who are prepared to dedicate time in their week to supporting one another to do just that. It is much easier to achieve when you are surrounded by like-minded people.
- Take some reflection time to ask and answer three questions and take these questions to your Mastermind group colleagues:
Where am I now at the beginning of this new year 2015?
Where do I want to be on December 31st, 2015?
What will stand in the way of me getting there and what do I need to do about those things?
Are you already thinking that this all sounds good on paper, but you know you won’t be able to do it? STOP!
As Edith Lovejoy Pierce says, this new year 2015 is a new book with blank pages. You are not still writing your story in the old book. Your new story is about OPPORTUNITY. Seize it in this new year and make it happen. You can do it!